TurboTax 2018 - 2019 Guide
Filing A Tax Extension
- File for your tax extension by April 15th to extend your tax filing date until October 15th
- Pay any taxes owed to avoid penalties when you get extra time to file your tax return
- Easily complete your IRS Tax Return Extension in minutes with help from a brand you trust
- Receive an email confirmation from the IRS when your tax extension has been accepted
What Is A Tax Extension? TurboTax Explains How You Can Buy More Time To File Your Tax Return...
You can buy yourself more time to file, if you can’t complete your federal tax return by the April 15 deadline, .
Avoid IRS late-filing penalties by filing an extension to push the deadline back six months to October 15
Beware, there’s a catch. The extension only pushes back the due date for the tax return paperwork. If you owe any money for additional taxes, you need to estimate the amount, then file your extension and make your payment by April 15 to avoid any financial penalties.
Not Ready to Prepare Your Tax Return? Let TurboTax Help You File A Tax Extension For Free
Filing an Income Tax Extension is easy to do if you can’t complete your federal tax return by the tax filing deadline.
TurboTax can help you see how and when to file an IRS tax extension so that you can push your tax filing deadline back to October 15th and gain an extra six months to prepare and file your federal tax return without getting penalized. TurboTax 2019 Tax Extension Video Guide.
How to file a federal IRS tax extension
1. EFile your tax extension online in minutes with:
File your extension and pay any income tax amount still due by April 15 using the online TurboTax Easy Extension website service.
With TurboTax Easy Extension, you can:
- Efile your federal extension online with TurboTax Easy Extension
- Make a payment of any taxes due, right from your checking or savings account
- Print a copy of the extension that you efiled
- Log into your TurboTax Easy Extension account to see when your extension has been accepted by the IRS
- You can access the forms you need to file a state extension by mail if required.
2. Print the IRS extension form, fill it out by hand, and mail it to the IRS
IRS Form 4868: Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return.
Print the form and instructions. Fill it out and send it to the IRS address for your state.
If you owe federal taxes, include your payment with your Extension Form 4868 and mail it—postmarked by April 15. (If you don’t make a payment in the amount of the taxes due, you could be liable for penalties and interest charges, even if you’ve filed your extension form.) Then complete and file your return on or before the extended October 15, deadline.
Do you need to use a credit card to pay taxes owed?
If you’ve already efiled or mailed Extension Form 4868 and need to pay taxes owed by credit card, you can use one of the several IRS approved Electronic Payment Methods. You can pay with your credit card online or by phone.
Be sure to file your completed return by October 15
- If the IRS thinks your estimate of the amount of taxes that you still owed was unreasonable, it may disallow your extension and assess a late-filing penalty.
- •If you underestimated the amount of tax you owed, you will have to pay interest on whatever amount you failed to pay by the April 15th deadline.
- If you pay less than 90 percent of the tax amount that you owed, you’ll end up owing a penalty of 0.5 percent of the underpayment each and every month until you pay the proper balance in full.
For those who live outside the United States
For those who live outside the United States, you may be able to get an extension by filing IRS Form 2350: Application for Extension of Time to File U.S. Income Tax Return if you believe you will be able to qualify for special tax treatment. See IRS Publication 54: Tax Guide for U.S. Citizens and Resident Aliens Abroad to learn if this tax extension form might help you in you tax filing circumstances.
Do You Need to Request a State Tax Extension? TurboTax Can Help!
State tax extension guidelines can vary widely from state to state. To see detailed information about state extension filing deadlines and mailing addresses, select your state tax authority’s website from our list.
Remember, TurboTax Easy Extension can help you access the tax extension forms you need to file your state tax extension by mail.
How to File for an Extension on your State Taxes
While the IRS requires you to file tax extensions, Form 4868 for your federal tax return,
each state has its own requirements for obtaining a similar state tax extension. Read more.
What to Do After You’ve Filed an Income Tax Extension
Now that you’ve filed your tax extension forms, you might wonder what you need to do between now and when your tax return becomes due in October. We’ve addressed some of the common tax extension questions here.